A criminal charge can disrupt your entire life. No matter how minor the offense, in Texas you may face steep fines as well as prison time. For career-minded professionals, the establishment of a criminal record can compromise your prospects for future employment. Many lawyers can help you stay out of jail; you want an attorney who will fight to keep your record clean.
Practicing in downtown Houston and the surrounding area, John S. Cossum has served as a criminal defense attorney for nearly 30 years. He began his career as a prosecutor — he understands the prosecution's mindset, and he will leverage his knowledge and experience to help protect you.
Fighting In Federal And State Courts To Keep Your Criminal Record Clean
Mr. Cossum offers protection against a wide range of criminal law matters in state and federal courts, including:
- Drunk driving — The steps you take following a DUI/DWI charge matter. An experienced attorney will help you understand the best route forward.
- Federal and state drug charges — Federal penalties for narcotics are harsh and Texas's drug crime laws are among the nation's most severe. It is critical that you hire an attorney who understands successful strategies to protect your rights, as well as the sentencing guidelines.
- Assault charges — Depending on the severity of the crime, an assault can be tried either as a misdemeanor or a felony. Yet the penalties for both are harsh. Mr. Cossum provides assistance if you stand accused of assault, or if you have been victimized.
- Sexual offenses — In Texas, a sex crime conviction entails steep fines and, in many cases, long prison sentences. It is important to find a lawyer who will protect your rights.
- Theft — Whether you are charged with robbing a bank or shoplifting from a general store, the consequences of theft can be incredibly punitive. With strong legal counsel, the charges against you can be reduced — and, in some cases, dismissed.
- White collar fraud — White collar crimes are taken — and punished — seriously at both the state and federal levels. You need a lawyer whose experience matches that of the prosecution.
No matter what charges you face, there are options. Mr. Cossum will help you understand them. He has a successful background in both local and federal courts. Beyond keeping you out of jail, his aim is to have your case dismissed and any record of criminality expunged.
Contact John S. Cossum Today
To learn more about how Mr. Cossum can help protect your rights, call him at 281-973-4747 or reach him through his online form. He offers free initial consultations and can arrange to work on either a flat-fee or hourly basis.